1 reply to this topic

#1 DaCurryman

DaCurryman

Grand Master

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,029 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 01:43 PM

OK Everybody...I know you're all depressed and don't know what to do with your lives ever since the forum went down on Friday, but rest assured I've been working hard in getting them back online. I was up till 5:30 in the morning, didnt make it into work today, and have also been going at it for the past 2.5 hours, but I think it's finally at a point where I can let you guys in.

First things first....not everything is ready to go. I still have some settings I need to adjust and areas I need to finish setting up. I still need to work on the front portal page, so ignore the fact that there's some items on the left, and a blank right side. Unfortunately, firefox seems to have an issue with the new quote coding. My understanding is that it works fine for all new posts, but if you look at any post prior to today using firefox that has a quote tag in it, it is very likely to show up all messed up with buttons everywhere. To see what I mean, look here:

http://www.bluelegen...ges/FFError.jpg

The posts will show up fine in IE tho, so I recommend using IE for the forums for a little while (prolly about 2 weeks) till we don't have a real need to go into older threads and thus wont have an issue since new posts shouldnt have a problem.

Members: All Cornell bros have been broken up into 2 new member groups: CU Active Brother and CU Alumni Brother. Actives will notice that they now have their own category with forums within them. This way you can post all your ramblings, questions, discussions here instead of hitting reply-to-all on e-mails because the e-mail situation is getting outta hand. As was the purpose of the forum before, only important e-mails should be distributed. Also, Alumni brothers do not have access to this area, specifically for the reason so that you can discuss chapter issues without being harassed by alumni. If for any reason you want to have Alumni discussions or input, then post the thread in the "Brothers Only" section.

Calendars: There are currently 2 calendars set up. One is for the Cornell Chapter, where bros can post any chapter events (pledging, parties, mixers, meetings, etc.). Only Cornell brothers (Active & Alumni) have access to this. There is also a Public Events calendar, which is for everyone to use, more specifically for alumns wanting to share events in the city or for brother from other chapters to share their events with us. Everyone has access to this calendar.

Rich Text Editor (WYSIWYG): You'll notice that the reply box now has a rich text editor, so now you don't have to be scared of what your tags will look like when you're done. You bold, you see bold; you color, you see color. Isnt it so pretty?! Yes, I know it is.

New Text Features: As part of the Rich Text Editor, you'll notice that now you can add bullets, numbering (as used below), indent/outdent, and also change the alignment within posts.

Fast Reply: I'm sure this will be a favorite of all the working folk. You'll notice a "Fast Reply" box. Click on this and it will pop open a little box at the bottom. While you wont have the text editor there, you'll be able to quickly reply to posts without opening up a new page with the gazillion smiley faces showing for your bosses to see.

+/- Buttons: You'll see these under the text box when you regularly reply to a topic. It basically grows and shrinks your text box so you can see more or less of your post.

Editing Types: When you choose to edit your post for whatever reason, you'll click on the "Edit" button and it will pop-up a choice for "Full Edit" or "Quick Edit". You guys are already familiar with Full Edit as that's what we had in the old board. The new feature, Quick Edit, allows you to edit the post directly within the posting space without being redirected to another page. Once you're done you choose "Complete Edit" or "Cancel Edit" depending on your needs.

New Post Quote Procedure: Now when you click on the quote button, you wont automatically pop-up a new reply window with the quote in place. The button will just turn red. In order to quote in your reply, you can do one of a few things:
  • You can click on "Quote" so that it turns red, then click on "Add Reply"<LI>You can click on just the "Reply" button next to the "Quote" button.
  • You can highlight the text you want to quote, then click "Fast Reply" and then click on "Add Selected Text As Quote"
  • You can click "Fast Reply" and then highlight the text you want to quote and click on "Add Selected Text As Quote"
Multiple Post Quote: The reason for the Quote button being different now is that you can quote multiple people at once. So basically if there are 2 posts I want to quote, I'd click the Quote button on both (they'd both turn red), then I'd click on "Add Reply". Now they'll both be in my post and I can reply to them separately but in one post. This way people dont reply 5 times in a row to different people. I'm fairly certain that you can multiple quote across multiple threads...not sure...havent tested it yet.

Sequential Posting Merge: I've also enabled a setting whereby if you post sequentially within a thread (one post after another) within a certain time frame, it will actually merge your posts. This help eliminates unnecessary post space.

Quote Redirect: Now when you quote someone or see a post quoting someone, you'll notice a little red arrow next to it. If you click on that arrow, it will take you to the post that was being quoted in case you want to see everything the person had originally written.

Post Link: If you look at the top right corner of every post, you'll notice a "Post #" If you click on the Post # link, it'll pop-up a hyperlink. That link is for that exact post, so if you wanted to send someone a link to a particular post in a 15 page thread, you could click there, send them that link so they would know exactly where in the thread (which post) you wanted them to see.

That's about all I can think of for now. I'm sure I'll have more to add later. Enjoy...and let me know if you have problems.

#2 DaCurryman

DaCurryman

Grand Master

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,029 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 01:04 AM

So I've done some work now (rebuilt every post) and am pretty sure that I've fixed the issue with using firefox. You guys shouldnt have a problem using it anymore. If you do, then let me know.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users